Changelog for ack 1.54 Sun Jan 7 22:34:57 CST 2007 [THINGS THAT MAY BREAK YOUR CODE] ack no longer follows symlinks by default, except for starting points specified on the command line. [ENHANCEMENTS] Added .sty and .cls to the --tex files. Thanks, Uwe Voelker. [FIXES] t/filetypes.t would fail sometimes based on hash order. 1.52 Fri Dec 22 00:41:45 CST 2006 [FIXES] In 1.51_01, I changed how we check the -B of a file, but it's not reliable. Perl's -B operator acts differently if you call -B $filename vs. -B $fh. [ENHANCEMENTS] I changed some internal code to figure out a file's extension. By using my own, instead of File::Basename, I cut out over 50% of the run time on my test of acking through a large tree. When using -a, it's not necessary to determine the filetype before searching, only if we should ignore the file or not. This cut out an additional 10% or so of execution time when doing -a searces. [INTERNALS] We no longer need to build a list of all used suffixes. This makes startup quicker. 1.51_01 Mon Dec 18 12:59:28 CST 2006 Development version. I'm putting this out so hardcore ack users can test out some new features. [FIXES] Tests now pass under Windows. [FEATURES] You can now set the colors for display with the ACK_COLOR_MATCH and ACK_COLOR_FILENAME environment variables. [ENHANCEMENTS] ack-standalone now builds with a shebang line of "#!/usr/bin/env perl", which is more compatible. Of course, you're welcome to change it to whatever you like. I now check for binaryness on the already-open file, rather than reopening it from the filesystem. This gave me about a 1% speedup in my tests. Started adding sanity checks to the options. For instance, it doesn't make sense to use -l and -C together, so ack will complain about that. Added a --sort-files option. [INTERNALS] More testing on XML and PHP detection courtesy Bill Ricker. Lots of refactoring of search() in preparation for showing context around matches.