Changelog for ack

1.56    Wed Jan 17 12:55:38 CST 2007

    [FIXES]
    Now correctly handles filetypes of files with multiple periods.

    [ENHANCEMENTS]
    Added .xs to the list of --cc files.

    Warning messages now include the name "ack" at the beginning
    of them.

    Now skips .git directories.


1.54    Sun Jan  7 22:34:57 CST 2007

    [THINGS THAT MAY BREAK YOUR CODE]
    ack no longer follows symlinks by default, except for starting
    points specified on the command line.

    [ENHANCEMENTS]
    Added the --follow/--nofollow switches for following symlinks.

    Added .sty and .cls to the --tex files.  Thanks, Uwe Voelker.

    [FIXES]
    t/filetypes.t would fail sometimes based on hash order.


1.52        Fri Dec 22 00:41:45 CST 2006

    [FIXES]
    In 1.51_01, I changed how we check the -B of a file, but it's
    not reliable.  Perl's -B operator acts differently if you call
    -B $filename vs. -B $fh.

    [ENHANCEMENTS]
    I changed some internal code to figure out a file's extension.
    By using my own, instead of File::Basename, I cut out over 50%
    of the run time on my test of acking through a large tree.

    When using -a, it's not necessary to determine the filetype
    before searching, only if we should ignore the file or not.
    This cut out an additional 10% or so of execution time when
    doing -a searces.

    [INTERNALS]
    We no longer need to build a list of all used suffixes.  This
    makes startup quicker.


1.51_01     Mon Dec 18 12:59:28 CST 2006

    Development version.  I'm putting this out so hardcore ack users
    can test out some new features.

    [FIXES]
    Tests now pass under Windows.

    [FEATURES]
    You can now set the colors for display with the ACK_COLOR_MATCH
    and ACK_COLOR_FILENAME environment variables.

    [ENHANCEMENTS]
    ack-standalone now builds with a shebang line of "#!/usr/bin/env
    perl", which is more compatible.  Of course, you're welcome to
    change it to whatever you like.

    I now check for binaryness on the already-open file, rather
    than reopening it from the filesystem.  This gave me about a
    1% speedup in my tests.

    Started adding sanity checks to the options.  For instance, it
    doesn't make sense to use -l and -C together, so ack will
    complain about that.

    Added a --sort-files option.

    [INTERNALS]
    More testing on XML and PHP detection courtesy Bill Ricker.

    Lots of refactoring of search() in preparation for showing
    context around matches.