Changes for version 1.88 - 2019-05-10
- New stable release incorporating all changes from developer releases 1.86_01 to 1.86_11.
- From this release, Net-SSLeay is switching to an "odd/even" developer/stable release version numbering system, like that of many core modules (e.g. ExtUtils::MakeMaker): developer releases will have an odd minor version number (and the usual "_xx" suffix), and stable releases will have an even minor version number. This means there is no Net-SSLeay 1.87.
- Summary of major changes since version 1.85:
- Mike McCauley has stepped down as maintainer. The new maintainers are Chris Novakovic, Heikki Vatiainen and Tuure Vartiainen.
- The source code has moved from the now-defunct Debian Subversion server (alioth.debian.org) to GitHub (https://github.com/radiator-software/p5-net-ssleay).
- Net-SSLeay is provided under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0 - this has been the case since version 1.66, but references to other licenses remained in the source code, causing ambiguity.
- Perl 5.8.1 or newer is now required to use Net-SSLeay. This has already been the case for some time in practice, as the test suite hasn't fully passed on Perl 5.6 for several years.
- Much-improved compatibility with OpenSSL 1.1.1, and improved support for TLS 1.3.
- Fixed a long-standing bug in cb_data_advanced_put() that caused memory leaks when callbacks were frequently added and removed.
- Support in the test suite for "hardened" OpenSSL configurations that set a default security level of 2 or higher (e.g., in the OpenSSL packages that ship with recent versions of Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu).
Changes for version 1.86_11 - 2019-05-08
- Clarified Net-SSLeay's licensing terms: the module distribution has been released under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0 since version 1.66; references to other licenses have been removed. Fixes RT#106314. Thanks to Kent Fredric for pointing out the ambiguity.
- Replace the HTTPS hosts in the external tests (some of which were no longer online) with more resilient ones. Closes issue #26.
Changes for version 1.86_10 - 2019-05-04
- Use locally-generated certificate chain in local tests rather than the Twitter one, which changes regularly and breaks the test suite unnecessarily. Fixes RT#129201. Thanks to Petr Písař for the report and patch, and Steffen Ullrich for an alternative patch suggestion.
- In t/local/09_ctx_new.t, rather than checking that the functions (CTX_)get_min_proto_version and (CTX_)get_max_proto_version return 0x0000 (indicating the lowest and highest versions supported by libssl respectively, which is not the case if a run-time configuration is enforcing a different minimum or maximum), just check whether the returned value is one of those mentioned on the SSL_CTX_set_min_proto_version(3) man page. Partially fixes RT#128025. Thanks to Slaven Rezić and Dmytro Zagashev for the downstream reports.
- Move from 1024-bit keys/certificates to 2048-bit keys/certificates across the entire test suite. This removes the need to manually set the security level to 1 in tests that used the old keys, and fixes large numbers of test failures on modern Linux distributions that set the minimum OpenSSL security level to 2. Fixes RT#126270 and the remainder of RT#128025. Thanks to Petr Písař and Slaven Rezić for the downstream reports.
- In t/local/06_tcpecho.t and t/local/07_sslecho.t, connect to 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. This fixes these tests when executed inside a network sandbox that disrupts the behaviour of gethostbyname(). Fixes RT#128207. Thanks to Kent Fredric for the downstream report.
Changes for version 1.86_09 - 2019-03-12
- Add missing files to MANIFEST that prevented tests from passing when installing from the 1.86_08 release tarball.
Changes for version 1.86_08 - 2019-03-12
- Add and fix functions needed to properly implement client side session reuse for TLS 1.3 with using CTX_sess_set_new_cb. Newly exposed functions: SSL_SESSION_dup and SSL_SESSION_up_ref. Fixed functions: i2d_SSL_SESSION and d2i_SSL_SESSION. Thanks to Steffen Ullrich.
- Add functions functions to allow reading multiple pems from file and creating untrusted chain: These functions allow you to:
- Read in a PEM file with multiple certificates as a STACK_OF(X509_INFO)
- Determine the size of the STACK_OF(X509_INFO) and value at an index, which allows you to loop over the stack.
- Retrieve the X509 structure from each X509_INFO structure in the stack. Then you can create a new STACK_OF(X509) and push the X509 structures onto the new stack. You can then pass this STACK_OF(X509) to X509_STORE_CTX_init which will allow you to add additional untrusted certificates to the chain for verification. Exposed functions are: PEM_X509_INFO_read_bio sk_X509_INFO_num sk_X509_INFO_value sk_X509_INFO_free sk_X509_new_null sk_X509_free sk_X509_push New function implemented by Net::SSLeay: P_X509_INFO_get_x509 Thanks to Marc Reisner.
- Add functions and constants that are necessary to verify a certificate using a hash directory outside of an SSL/TLS connection. Newly exposed functions: X509_STORE_CTX_init X509_STORE_CTX_free X509_STORE_new X509_STORE_free X509_STORE_add_lookup X509_LOOKUP_hash_dir X509_LOOKUP_add_dir Newly exposed constants: X509_FILETYPE_ASN1 X509_FILETYPE_DEFAULT X509_FILETYPE_PEM Thanks to Marc Reisner.
- Declare n_a in ssleay_set_psk_client_callback_invoke and ssleay_ctx_set_psk_client_callback_invoke to avoid a compilation error with Perl versions below 5.8.8. Fixes RT#128030. Thanks to Graham Ollis for the report.
- Add X509_get0_serialNumber. Thanks to Marc Reisner.
- Enable Travis CI for LibreSSL 2.2.1, 2.7.5, 2.8.3 and 2.9.0 on Perl 5.20 and more recent.
- Expose the following functions for curve and group selection:
- CTX_set_ecdh_auto, set_ecdh_auto
- CTX_set1_curves_list, set1_curves_list
- CTX_set1_groups_list, set1_groups_list Thanks to Steffen Ullrich.
Changes for version 1.86_07 - 2018-12-13
- Net::SSLeay::RSA_generate_key() now prefers using RSA_generate_key_ex. This avois deprecated RSA_generate_key and allows removing the only Android specific code in SSLeay.xs. Fixes RT#127593. Thanks to Rouven Weiler.
- SSL_CTX_get0_param, SSL_CTX_get0_param, X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set1_host, X509_VERIFY_PARAM_add1_host, X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set_hostflags, X509_VERIFY_PARAM_get0_peername, X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set1_email, X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set1_ip and X509_VERIFY_PARAM_set1_ip_asc added in 1.83 for OpenSSL 1.0.2 and later are now available with LibreSSL 2.7.0 and later.
- get_keyblock_size() now gets the MAC secret size from the cipher on LibreSSL 2.7.0 and later, rather than reaching into libssl internals. This effectively takes the OpenSSL 1.1 code path for LibreSSL 2.7.0 instead of the OpenSSL 1.0 code path. Thanks to Alexander Bluhm.
- get_client_random and get_server_random now use API functions supported by LibreSSL 2.7.0 and later. Thanks to Alexander Bluhm.
- Add X509_check_host(), X509_check_email(), X509_check_ip(), and X509_check_ip_asc() for LibreSSL 2.5.0 and later. Thanks to Alexander Bluhm.
- OpenSSL_version() and OpenSSL_version_num() are available with LibreSSL 2.7.0 and later. Thanks to Alexander Bluhm.
- Use OPENSSL_cleanse() instead of memset(). Fixes RT#116599. Thanks to A. Sinan Unur.
Changes for version 1.86_06 - 2018-09-29
- Net::SSLeay::read() and SSL_peek() now check SSL_get_error() for SSL_ERROR_ZERO_RETURN for return values <= 0 to make Net::SSLeay::read() behave more like underlying OpenSSL function SSL_read(). Convenience function ssl_read_all() now does an automatic retry when ERROR_WANT_READ or ERROR_WANT_WRITE is returned with Net::SSLeay::read(). Convenience function ssl_read_until() now uses Net::SSLeay::ssl_read_all() instead of Net::SSLeay::read(). Tests 07_sslecho.t and 36_verify.t were also updated to use ssl_read_all() and ssl_write_all(). The tests now also disable TLSv1.3 session tickets and ignore SIGPIPE to avoid this signal when the client has finished before server has sent session tickets and called Net::SSLeay::accept(). Thanks to Petr Pisar and Sebastian Andrzej Siewior for the patches (in #RT125218).
- Fix a memory leak in cb_data_advanced_put. Fixes RT#127131. Noticed, investigated and patched by Paul Evans. Thanks!
- Enable OpenSSL 1.1.1-pre9 with Travis CI.
- Add SSL_CTX_set_num_tickets, SSL_CTX_get_num_tickets, SSL_set_num_ticket and SSL_get_num_tickets for controlling the number of TLSv1.3 session tickets that are issued. Add tests in 44_sess.t. Parts taken from a larger patch by Petr Pisar of RedHat.
- Add SSL_CTX_set_ciphersuites and SSL_set_ciphersuites for configuring the available TLSv1.3 ciphersuites. Add tests in 43_misc_functions.t and clarify SSL_client_version tests.
- Add SSL_CTX_set_security_level, SSL_CTX_get_security_level, SSL_set_security_level and SSL_get_security_level. Add new test file 65_security_level.t. All courtesy of Damyan Ivanov of Debian project.
- Fix export_keying_material return value check and context handling. SSL_export_keying_material use_context is now correctly set to non-zero value when context is an empty string. This affects values exported with TLSv1.2 and earlier. Update documentation in NetSSLeay.pod and add tests in t/local/45_export.t.
- Add RAND_priv_bytes. Add new test file t/local/10_rand.t for RAND_bytes, RAND_pseudo_bytes, RAND_priv_bytes, RAND_status, RAND_poll, RAND_file_name and RAND_load_file.
- Update documentation for RAND_*bytes return values and RAND_file_name behaviour with LibreSSL.
- Add SSL_SESSION_is_resumable. Add and update tests in 44_sess.t.
- Set OpenSSL security level to 1 in tests that use the test suite's (1024-bit) RSA keys, which allows the test suite to pass when Net-SSLeay is built against an OpenSSL with a higher default security level. Fixes RT#126987. Thanks to Petr Pisar (in RT#126270) and Damyan Ivanov (in RT#126987) for the reports and patches, and to Damyan Ivanov for the preferred patch.
- Add SSL_CTX_sess_set_new_cb and SSL_CTX_sess_set_remove_cb. Add new test file 44_sess.t for these and future session related tests for which no specific test file is needed.
- Add SSL_get_version, SSL_client_version and SSL_is_dtls.
- Add SSL_peek_ex, SSL_read_ex, SSL_write_ex and SSL_has_pending. Add tests in t/local/11_read.t
- Add SSL_CTX_set_post_handshake_auth contributed by Paul Howarth. Add SSL_set_post_handshake_auth, SSL_verify_client_post_handshake and constant SSL_VERIFY_POST_HANDSHAKE.
- Applied a patch to set_cert_and_key() from Damyan Ivanov, Debian Perl Group. This function now returns errors from library's error stack only when an underlying routine fails. Unrelated errors are now skipped. Fixes RT#126988.
- Add support for TLSv1.3 via $Net::SSLeay::ssl_version.
- Enhance t/local/43_misc_functions.t get_keyblock_size test to work better with AEAD ciphers.
- Add constants SSL_OP_ENABLE_MIDDLEBOX_COMPAT and SSL_OP_NO_ANTI_REPLAY for TLSv1.3
- Fix compile time DEFINE=-DSHOW_XS_DEBUG to work with non-threaded Perls. Fixes RT#127027. Thanks to SREZIC for the report. Also fix other minor compile warnings.
Changes for version 1.86_05 - 2018-08-22
- Net-SSLeay now requires at least Perl 5.8.1. This is a formalisation of what has been the de facto case for some time, as the distribution hasn't compiled and passed its tests on Perl 5.005 for several years.
- Increment Net::SSLeay::Handle's version number to keep it in sync with Net::SSLeay's, thus satisfying Kwalitee's consistent_version metric.
- Re-enable the d2i_X509_bio() test in t/local/33_x509_create_cert.t for LibreSSL. Thanks to Alexander Bluhm.
- Automatically detect new library names on Windows for OpenSSL 1.1.0 onwards (libcrypto, libssl). Fixes part of RT#121084. Thanks to Jean-Damien Durand.
- Fix a typo preventing OpenSSL libraries built with the VC compiler (i.e. ones with a ".lib" suffix) from being automatically detected on Windows. Fixes part of RT#121084. Thanks to Jean-Damien Durand.
- Add missing call to va_end() following va_start() in TRACE(). Fixes RT#126028. Thanks to Jitka Plesnikova.
- Added SSL_in_init() and the related functions for all libraries and their versions. All return 0 or 1 as documented by OpenSSL 1.1.1. Use of these functions is recommended over using constants returned by get_state() and state(). New constants TLS_ST_*, used by OpenSSL 1.1.0 and later, will not be made available by Net::SSLeay.
Changes for version 1.86_04 - 2018-07-30
- Re-add SSLv3_method() for OpenSSL 1.0.2 and above. Fixes RT#101484.
- Don't expose ENGINE-related functions when building against OpenSSL builds without ENGINE support. Fixes RT#121538. Thanks to Paul Green.
- Automatically detect OpenSSL 1.0.x on VMS, and update VMS installation instructions to reflect removal of Module::Install from the build system. Fixes RT#124388. Thanks to Craig A. Berry.
- Prevent memory leak in OCSP_cert2ids() and OCSP_response_verify(). Fixes RT#125273. Thanks to Steffen Ullrich.
Changes for version 1.86_03 - 2018-07-19
- Convert packaging to ExtUtils::MakeMaker. Thanks to mohawk2.
- Module::Install is no longer a prerequisite when building from the reposistory.
- Re-apply patch from ETJ permitting configure and build in places with a space in the name.
Changes for version 1.86_02 - 2018-07-06
- Removed inc/ from repository. Module::Install is now a prerequisite when building from the repository. This allowed also removing "." from Makefile.PL lib path which was added in version 1.81. These updates require no changes when building from release packages. They also help AppVeyor builds to work better with old Perls.
- Added CONTRIBUTING.md, reformatted the previous Changes entry to use CPAN::Changes::Spec guidelines and removed unused version control tags from comments.
Changes for version 1.86_01 - 2018-07-04
- Net::SSLeay functionality was not changed in this release.
- Maintainer changes:
- Mike McCauley, maintainer of Net-SSLeay since November 2005, has stepped down. Thanks to Mike for his 13 years of stewardship.
- Net-SSLeay is now maintained by Chris Novakovic, Heikki Vatiainen and Tuure Vartiainen.
- Version control system changes:
- The previous Debian-hosted SVN repository has been imported into Git. The source code is now maintained on GitHub, at https://github.com/radiator-software/p5-net-ssleay.
- Fixes to commit metadata, branches and tags that git-svn couldn't handle or had no way of handling, were done manually or semi-automatically afterwards. For instance, the "git-svn-id:" lines that git-svn appends to commit messages were kept because Mike used SVN revision numbers in RT replies to indicate when bugs had been fixed/patches applied (which may be useful for future reference).
- All commits were replayed onto a single master branch rather than having separate dead-end branches for the old SVN version tags (as this seems more "git-like").
- New lightweight tags were created for each public release going back as far as the start of the SVN repository using data from MetaCPAN (cross-referencing with the changelog when it wasn't clear when a release was cut from the SVN repo).
- Florian's and Mike's email addresses were mapped to git author/committer IDs
- Continuous integration:
- Travis CI configuration was added for automated testing on Linux using 64 bit Ubuntu Trusty. Build matrix dimensions are: Perl 5.8 - 5.26 x OpenSSL 0.9.8zh - 1.1.0h. Only the currently latest version for each major Perl and OpenSSL release is chosen.
- AppVeyor configuration was added for automated testing on Windows. Build matrix dimensions are: Perl 5.8 - 5.26 x 32bit and 64bit Perl environment x Windows Server 2012R2 and Windows Server 2016. The Perl environment is Strawberry Perl and its OpenSSL is used with builds. Only the latest major versions are used, similarly to Travis CI. Net-SSLeay PPM and PPD files are made available as artifacts.
- Added README.md with link to master branch build and test status. Did minor updates to README and other misc files.
- Release packaging:
- Files t/local/43_misc_functions.t and t/local/65_ticket_sharing_2.t were missing from MANIFEST.
- Updated inc/ directory with Module::Install 1.19. Updated Makefile.PL author and resource information. Synced SSLeay.pm under ext/ with the latest changes under inc/. Reordered use imports so that META.yml gets correctly regenerated. More Module::Install related changes will follow.
Perl extension for using OpenSSL
Perl module that lets SSL (HTTPS) sockets be handled as standard file handles.
- examples/bio.pl [pod]
- examples/bulk.pl [pod]
- examples/callback.pl [pod]
- examples/cb-testi.pl [pod]
- examples/cli-cert.pl [pod]
- examples/ephemeral.pl [pod]
- examples/get_authenticated_page.pl [pod]
- examples/get_page.pl [pod]
- examples/get_page_cert.pl [pod]
- examples/https-proxy-snif.pl [pod]
- examples/makecert.pl [pod]
- examples/minicli.pl [pod]
- examples/passwd-cb.pl [pod]
- examples/ssl-inetd-serv.pl [pod]
- examples/ssl_diff.pl [pod]
- examples/sslcat.pl [pod]
- examples/sslecho.pl [pod]
- examples/stdio_bulk.pl [pod]
- examples/tcpcat.pl [pod]
- examples/tcpecho.pl [pod]
- examples/x509_cert_details.pl [pod]