- TO DO
- SEE ALSO
Lingua::EN::VarCon - Provides access to the VarCon (Variant Conversion Info)
VarCon is a data set provided as part of the Word List project.
It contains a number of lists and tables of words that can be used to help automatically convert the English language between the differing spellings of it's local dialects (American, British, Canadian).
In an age where Spanish application translations are common, but finding a British, Canadian or Australian translation (as used by FAR more people than American English) can be almost impossible, and when "English" on the internet is increasingly seeming to be "American", it is hoped that by providing access to the raw data in a variety of different ways (optimised for different application types with different load profiles) it will encourage developers to integrate support for automated dialect translation into internationalisation toolkits, and thus into many applications.
For this initial release, only methods to locate the files are provided.
Additional access methods will be provided later, or on request.
abbc_file method returns the location of the abbc.tab file from the VarCon data set.
also_file method returns the location of the variant-also.tab file from the VarCon data set.
infl_file method returns the location of the variant-infl.tab file from the VarCon data set.
infl_file method returns the location of the variant-wroot.tab file from the VarCon data set.
voc_file method returns the location of the voc.tab file from the VarCon data set.
- Split out into smaller language-specific files
- Access in the form of a memory hash (optimised per language?)
- Access in the form of a Berkely DB
- Access in the form of a SQLite database (maybe overkill)
Perl bugs should always be submitted via the CPAN bug tracker
Bugs in the word lists should be reported via the feature request tracker on the SourceForge site of the Word Lists project.
For other issues, contact the maintainer
Adam Kennedy <firstname.lastname@example.org>, http://ali.as/
Copyright for this distribution is a little more involved than most.
Copyright (c) 2006 Adam Kennedy. All rights reserved.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.
The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module.
Copyright 2000-2004 by Kevin Atkinson
Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this array, the associated software, and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. Kevin Atkinson makes no representations about the suitability of this array for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
The original words lists come from the Ispell distribution:
Copyright 1993, Geoff Kuenning, Granada Hills, CA All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. 3. All modifications to the source code must be clearly marked as such. Binary redistributions based on modified source code must be clearly marked as modified versions in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. (clause 4 removed with permission from Geoff Kuenning) 5. The name of Geoff Kuenning may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY GEOFF KUENNING AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL GEOFF KUENNING OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.