Locale::Language - standard codes for language identification
use Locale::Language; $lang = code2language('en'); # $lang gets 'English' $code = language2code('French'); # $code gets 'fr' @codes = all_language_codes(); @names = all_language_names();
This module provides access to standard codes used for identifying languages, such as those as defined in ISO 639.
Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639 two-letter codes will be used.
SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying languages. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module.
For example, the two are equivalent:
$lang = code2language('en','alpha-2'); $lang = code2language('en',LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2);
The codesets currently supported are:
- alpha-2, LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2
This is the set of two-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-1, such as 'he' for Hebrew. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry.
This is the default code set.
- alpha-3, LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_3
This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) bibliographic codes from ISO 639-2 and 639-5, such as 'heb' for Hebrew. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry.
- term, LOCALE_LANG_TERM
This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) terminologic codes from ISO 639.
- code2language(CODE [,CODESET] [,'retired'])
- language2code(NAME [,CODESET] [,'retired'])
- language_code2code(CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2)
- all_language_codes([CODESET] [,'retired'])
- all_language_names([CODESET] [,'retired'])
- Locale::Language::rename_language(CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET])
- Locale::Language::add_language(CODE ,NAME [,CODESET])
- Locale::Language::delete_language(CODE [,CODESET])
- Locale::Language::add_language_alias(NAME ,NEW_NAME)
- Locale::Language::rename_language_code(CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET])
- Locale::Language::add_language_code_alias(CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET])
- Locale::Language::delete_language_code_alias(CODE [,CODESET])
These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page.
The Locale-Codes distribution.
The list of functions supported by this module.
Source of the ISO 639-2 codes.
Source of the ISO 639-5 codes.
The IANA language subtag registry.
See Locale::Codes for full author history.
Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2015 Sullivan Beck
This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.