Changes for version 2.07
- bzlib-src/Makefile.PL had a stupid mistake in it that shows up for win32 nmake. I can't test that stuff out. Plus, got some new info from Sisyphus, so tossed my scribble and put in something known to work.
- implemented Compress::Bzip2 1.03 compatibility layer to encompass the post-1.00 development thread taken by Marco Carnut and David Robins. Made an effort to include the three .t test files asis.
- Why? Cause I found that PerlIO::via::Bzip2, by Arjen Laarhoven, is built on the streaming interface of 1.03. From looking over it, I gather it redirects a 1.03 compression/decompression stream to/from a file. It doesn't do the extra bit of fiddling with the trailers to make the resultant file usable by the bzip2 commands. Additionally, the 1.03 decompress stream doesn't handle the pause when an embedded EOF marker is found, which is an issue for files larger than the buffer size (900k by default).
- So, I figured it would be easy to provide a compatibility layer for packages that use 1.03. By using my stuff, the headers and trailers would be automatically taken care of, as would the EOF marker. Something like PerlIO::via::Bzip2 would then interoperate with bzip2 commands. Sure, I think bzread and bzwrite are better choices for file IO, but this is perl, right? There has to be at least 10 ways to do the same thing.
- Compress::Bzip2 - Interface to Bzip2 compression library